- Building Permits & Safety
Permits Where Required
Any owner, owner's authorized agent or contractor who desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be performed, shall first make an application to the code official and obtain the required permit for the work.
The following work shall be exempt from the requirement for a permit:
1. The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe provided; however, that if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in this code.
2. The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures, and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided that such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.
Exemption from this code's permit requirements shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.
106.6.1 Work Commencing Before Permit Issuance
Any person who commences any work on a plumbing system before obtaining the necessary permits shall be subject to 100 percent of the usual permit fee in addition to the required permit fees.
❖ This section is intended to serve as a deterrent to proceeding with work on a plumbing system without a permit. As a punitive measure, it doubles the cost of the permit fee. However, this section does not intend to penalize a contractor called upon to do emergency work after hours, provided that he or she makes prompt notification to the code official the next business day and obtains the requisite permit for the work done and has the required inspections performed.
The Town of Little Elm has adopted the following construction codes that provide minimum standards during the building process.
- 2018 International Building Code https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IBC2018P3
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IECC2018P3
- 2018 International Existing Building Code https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IEBC2018P3
- 2018 Fuel Gas Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IMC2018P2
- 2018 International Plumbing Code https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IPC2018P2
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IPMC2018P2
- 2018 International Residential Code https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IRC2018P2
- Local Amendments - Chapter 22
Contractor Registration To register as a contractor, visit Request a New Registration.
To find a registered contractor, visit Search for Contractors.
To estimate fees for a project, use the fee estimator by clicking Fee Estimator.