General Election Information
Town Council elections are generally held each May. The Town of Little Elm may also conduct elections on local matters each November. Denton County administers elections for the Town, and you may find additional information about elections and voting at www.votedenton.com.
How do I register to vote?
Voter registration is done through Denton County Elections Administration. Go to Voter Registration to learn more.
What district am I in?
Look up your voter district here.
For additional elections information, including voter registration, voter ID requirements, and precinct information, please visit the Denton County Elections website at www.votedenton.com.
Where do I vote on Election Day?
Voting Information 2020
The Town Secretary serves as the Chief Election Official for the Town of Little Elm and is responsible for conducting Town Elections in accordance with the Texas Election Code and held annually on the first Saturday in May. The Town of Little Elm contracts election services thru Denton County Election Administration.
The Town Council is composed of a Mayor and six (6) Council Members in places 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 elected by the qualified voters for a term of three (3) years, with the exception of Council member in places 2, 3, 4, and 5, which shall be elected by the qualified voters in each of the respective Council District as provided for in Chapter 3 of the Town Charter. The Mayor and Council Members in places 1 and 6 shall be elected by the qualified voters of the Town at-large. Beginning with the Election in May 2020, place 1 shall be for a term of two (2) years until the election in May 2022, after which time place 1 shall be for a term of three (3) years from that election going forward. Beginning with the Election in May, 2021, place 5 shall be for a term of two (2) years until the election in May, 2023, after which time place 5 shall be for a term of three (3) years from that election going forward.
- Council Places 1 and 6 will be elected on the first Saturday in May 2020.
- Mayor and Council Places 3 and 5 will be elected on the first Saturday in May 2021.
- Council Places 2 and 4 will be elected on the first Saturday in May 2022.
In the Town’s general election for May 2020, the filing period begins on the 108th day (01/15/2020) before Election Day and ends at 5:00 p.m. on the 78th day (02/14/2020) before Election Day. Applications for a place on the ballot must be filed with the Town Secretary during the filing period for the election. The forms may be found on the Secretary of State website with additional form on the Texas Ethics Commission website. Voter registration and polling locations and times can be found at www.votedenton.com.
Qualifications for Office (Per the Town Charter)
In accordance with standard eligibility requirements for a town office, a candidate must:
- be a United States Citizen
- shall be a qualified voter of the Town
- shall not be less than twenty-one (21) years of age
- shall have resided in the Town not less than twelve (12) months immediately preceding election day
- shall meet the requirements of the Texas Election Code
- shall not after notice of any delinquency, be in arrears in the payment of any taxes or other liabilities due the Town
- each Council Member and Mayor must continually reside within the Town during such officer’s term of office, and any removal of the officer’s residence from the Town during his or her term of shall constitute a vacation of his or her office, and such vacancy shall be filled as provided in Section 3.05 of the Town Charter
- Candidates for Mayor and Council member in Place 1 and Place 6 may be residents of any portion of the Town. Council Member for Place 2 ,3, 4, and 5 must reside in, and be elected from the district for which the specific place applies
- the Town Council, by Ordinance, shall establish the district boundaries for Place 2, 3, 4, and 5. The district boundaries shall be equal in population as practical and reviewed and updated by the Town Council every four (4) years.
Texas Ethics Commission: www.ethics.state.tx.us
Campaign forms and instruction guides
Secretary of State: www.sos.state.tx.us
Additional Election Information/forms
If you have any question please contact the Town Secretary at 214-975-0404.
Town of Little Elm, 100 West Eldorado Parkway, Little Elm, Texas 75068
Phone: 214-975-0404 Fax: 972-377-5540 Email: email@example.com.